Friday, July 31, 2009

One more time...?

Okay, I posted this question last night, but I didn't get the answers I was hoping for, so I thought I should clarify my question. I'm quitting my job and I asked for the best way and if I was being rude to give her four days notice, b/c I don't work for four days...





Everyone said, "two weeks notice" Well, about a month ago I told my boss that I had another job that I had interviewed for and that when I found out about the new job I would be quitting and I gave her the option to "let me go" right then so when I did leave I wouldn't put her in a bind with the schedule. Then a couple of weeks ago after a second interview I went back to my boss and said you might want to go light on the hours until I find out for sure, but she insists that I won't start until the begining of the year and so she's not too concerned. It's not worth the gas money though for me to drive back if I get the other job bc I'm going home for the holidays and leaving college.

One more time...?
It is the norm to give two weeks notice. However, your situation is different. You were totally upfront about everything. You did what was right. You seemed to be addressing a brick wall. Now be selfish. Leave when it's convienent for you. In the spirit of the holiday hang a piece of mistletoe just above your left buttock. If you were to get fired how much notice would you get?


Two weeks or two seconds? Be a mercenary. Take care of your own needs. You have nothing to feel guilty about.
Reply:your present employer is responsible to make sure her business or department is running smoothly. you can't expect someone to hold a position or change the schedule for you when all you have is a maybe. you are fortunate that she is willing to do as much as she has to accommodate you. i myself would have terminated your employment two weeks after the first approach and would have been completely within my rights to do so. deal with your responsibilities then move on when you have a definite position to move to. all you are doing is burning a bridge that you will definitely need on your resume in the future.


good luck


No comments:

Post a Comment